So William turned 6 and celebrated with an obstacle course and a blue, black and white themed party. With the speed of a ninja, I pulled my trusty “kick backside” cutter out to create his party favors.
With armament (airbrushed wafer paper).
Ryan wanted her birthday to be centered around jack rabbits. I did a cookie take on the invitation artwork (sorry I can’t give the artist credit/wish I knew who her/his name!) and added a few embellishments…
I wanted a soft background with lattice work (those rabbits had me thinking of Mr. MacGregor’s fence but with something sweet for 5 year old girl …). Stencil hero Killer Zebras came through again with just the right touch.
After I flooded the cookie in pink and airbrushed gold sheen (Americolor), I put the base of white royal icing for the bunny (and the black eyes about 4 hours later). They dried overnight before I added the details with my trusty Rainbow Dust pens. Luckily I had some purple flowers I had made with leftover icing from another cookie set; they worked perfectly to sync up with the invite design. And the result:
In MamaMayer’s garden…
A ‘force’ to be reckoned with, in a galaxy far far away, this Star Wars birthday came complete with party hats….
Positively powerful Potter potions poised to participate in party play.
A million more minions. OK. Not a million. But many. Party apparel and blue-green dresses were requested for this young lady’s birthday party. Packaged as favors (see previous Minion posts for bag and tag look), these girls held their thanks close to their hearts.
Midnight Blues is the pattern. I definitely saw midnight and a LOT of blue when decorating the cookies for this birthday party…
Requested were 12 favors that had the pattern on a purse plus one large cookie cake. I took the daisy within the pattern and made the “cake” such that guests could pull a large petal or a small cookie, depending on their appetite.
I didn’t have a cookie cutter to match so I sized a 4×4″ purse on card stock and hand cut the shape.
The base layer was a very saturated black.blue (half and half Americolor royal blue and black, required lots of gel to achieve the color).
After drying the base overnight, I began applying the flower pattern. Yellow= Lemon yellow with a drop or two of egg yellow. Blue= Royal blue: just a little bit for the light blue and several drops more for the darker. Green= Leaf green. Orange= orange. Purple= Violet with a couple drops of regal purple. Americolor gels all. I wish I could tell you exactly how many drops but 1) I mixed without counting & 2) it does depend on how much icing you are tinting. I had sketched a pattern first to balance the colors on the cookie and it mostly worked. That is also why I always, always make an extra cookie or two for my “oops.”
Here’s how they turned out against a print of the original design.
Next I moved on to the cookie cake. Sorry but it required a little math. I measured the serving platter diameter and from there figured out how wide top and bottom each petal needed to be, considering that I would have a 4″ circular center and 8 petals, etc. (If you really want to know how to calculate the measurements, comment back and I will tell. A little boring.) Made a hole with/for a candle in top cookie of stack. Did this BEFORE I baked the cookies.
I cut out a cookie stack (using cutter set where each cookie gets slightly smaller) for the center to support the happy birthday sticks. Unfortunately, it was late at night and I mistakenly thought I needed 12 sticks. Um, “happy birthday” has 13 places, even without a space. Duh. So that’s why the sticks weren’t flat around the stack. My bad. Just do the math better than me and it will all fit. These sticks happened to be 3″x .75″ each.
One more look at the entire production!