The theme for this 2 year old’s birthday was vintage trains. I used ivory Americolor gel as a base, letting the cookies dry overnight. I started by airbrushing the blue stripes on the vintage train cookies. I then “aged” all of the cookies by using a stiff brush and terra cotta dry powder, applied randomly around the edges of the cookies. You could also use a light airbrush coat instead.
The rest of the decorating involved royal icing, stamps, and those Rainbow Dust edible pens! I’d CHOO.CHOOse these cute designs for any train themed party!
Ready for pick up!
So William turned 6 and celebrated with an obstacle course and a blue, black and white themed party. With the speed of a ninja, I pulled my trusty “kick backside” cutter out to create his party favors.
With armament (airbrushed wafer paper).
Um. Oil rigged, I mean. As in derrick oil rig. Old fashioned to remind this 80 year old birthday boy of his younger days, running his oil business.
The event planner’s instructions were specific: a large cookie (yep, that’s a 6″ long cookie) with the rig exactly as he had drawn (the planner is quite the artist himself) on a light blue background. Oh yes, and Mr. Johnson (the birthday boy) wanted green oil. (Not that I doubted him but I had to look that one up; it is true that in some places the crude comes out green!) The 6″ cookie cutter came from the ever.so.helpful Bobbi at Bobbi’s Cookie Cutters.
Step 1: Bake 150 of these HUGE cookies. Step 2: Flood and let dry over night. Step 3: Paint the background. Step 4: Hand draw (with Rainbow Dust double sided edible markers) the oil rigs. Step 5: Add green oil with second layer of icing. Did I mention they wanted 150 of them? (The photos only show 100 of them. The other 50 are on another table…)
Here is my friend, Judy and Ray, the event planner! Thanks for having confidence that I could bring your vision to cookie life!
I try to come up with new and fun ways to approach birthday party cookies. What better time to put a cookie on a stick (well, heavy paper straw to be exact) than when asked to coordinate with a Lacrosse theme? I created a “field” by cutting out styrofoam sheets to fit in a cake box, covering them with simple construction paper (totally not to scale but I was limited by box size). I then baked the 20 stick heads, based coated the first side white, and let dry overnight; I used the double sided Rainbow Dust pens to ink in the outline and associated netting.
okay- it’s winter. Everything starts looking like snowflakes.
I flipped the heads over and used thick royal icing to set the straw on the back side of the cookie.
After an hour or so, I coated the second side with 10 second icing. I toyed around with inking in the nets on the back as well but 1) decided it looked cleaner without, and 2) decided these were labor intensive enough already. I also made a net cookie for either end of the field.
Top view of the field; lower left corner shows the cuts I made to prep for inserting the straw.
Take home favors were also requested- jerseys out of a chocolate cookie. Just a simple hand painted and stamped jersey with a few penned in accents.
A million more minions. OK. Not a million. But many. Party apparel and blue-green dresses were requested for this young lady’s birthday party. Packaged as favors (see previous Minion posts for bag and tag look), these girls held their thanks close to their hearts.
Well, sort of. Cake is awesome but I am much better at baking cookies. So when a friend’s kiddo wanted to take treats in to school for her 10th birthday, the phrase ‘let them have cake and eat it too’ came to mind. Hopefully no (french) revolution will follow…
Okay, Olaf is totally cool but Kaylyn is even cooler! And these are her birthday favors…
I started with a design of Olaf making a snow angel and a dried, white iced cookie. I drew Olaf’s basic shape with a blue edible food marker; this was to achieve that slight bit of blue to distinguish Olaf from his same colored background. I then filled in the face and the lower body and gave that a rest. Followed that (after dried) with the middle section and the feet.
I used a simplified brush embroidery technique (thank you Sweet Ambs) to give the snow angel effect and then added arms, mouth, nose eyes, buttons, and extra snow.
Finished the process with 1) black edible “paint” (see previous posts on how to paint) for hair and face details and 2) stamping “cool” and paint-outlining the whole cookie in blue. The favors were bagged and tagged but, alas, no final pics of finished favors.
Despicable Me minions were requested for birthday favors/a party platter, with some female versions included! Conveniently, Sweet Ambs had just posted a tutorial on minion.making and, if ever anyone knew cookie decorating, it would be the awe-inspiring Amber Spiegel. So I followed her directions other than also making a female version (birthday girl really likes blue so dresses are blue not the green from the movie), royal icing in my own “eyes,” and using my own hearts (saying thank you to the guests, etc.). The bigger minions (from 4″ rounds) all had unique faces but the favor sized (3″ tall rectangles) were the same design.
Step one was flooding the little hearts and letting them dry. About 6 hours later I painted on the “thx” or “luv” or “Liana.” In the meanwhile, I did the yellow face background. I let this dry for 4 hours (Sweet Ambs did not but I had an errand to run. It worked for me.). Next was putting on the pants and dresses; I placed the heart on while the icing was wet, basically as soon as the pants on each cookie was completed. For the dress, I added the dots and bottom trim while the icing was wet first and then added the heart.
Then I continued following Sweet Ambs directions. Here’s how they turned out.
After drying overnight, I put a boy and a girl (or Stewart dressed up as a girl) minion back to back to place in the favor bag. Added a cute little tag and they were ready for the guests!